Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Young Rembrandt

Today Jack and I decided to do work on some paintings.
This boy is quite the little artist.
He will wait by our studio door saying, "Paaaainting....paaaaint."
And by "studio" I mean garage. 
Matt fixed it up for me while I was in Art School and I have since been teaching art lessons in it.
It's perfect.
One more reason I am sad to leave.
But, Matt says we will have plenty of space for another studio in Georgia. 
They apparently have finished basements there which will actually be a nice studio.
Who knew.
Anyway, we got a little messy this morning and Jack loved every second.
The artist in me was thrilled, but the Mother in me was horrified.
I would not encourage letting your 19 month old have free reign on a canvas unless you are completely OCD free.
I always try to keep it clean and supervised in the beginning, but it quickly gets messy.
However, the art teacher in me understands that childhood is all about learning. 
The development of the brain and the learning connections within the brain are at the heart of learning for young children and art helps develop this more in children who participate in art, then in children who do not.
So, I have to put my vision of a mess-free art day away and embrace his creativity.
Even if it means body art.
We put on our "art clothes" on, which consistes of an old t-shirt, inside out pajama bottoms, and galoshes (Jacks choice), and got to work.

I am convinced that this exercise made him understand his colors because he kept asking for "blue."

Did I mention that it was messy?
 We had fun and a nice long bath to follow.
I just love this young Rembrandt.



No comments: